Network Services vs DCI with NetXMS server as the proxy node

Started by Dani@M3T, March 24, 2014, 10:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dani@M3T

I have a conceptual question:
What exactly are the advatages of network services? Is using DCIs (Origin=NetXMS Agent) with the NetXMS server as the proxy node not more flexible? So you can use the huge flexibility of ExternalCommands. In network services you can't use custom schedule (yes, on the corresponding service status DCI you can). And a very important disadvantage in my opinion: In templates you can't define network services for nodes (and so you can't use instance discovery either).

Maybe I overlook a few advantages of network services.
Thanks for any help.

Victor Kirhenshtein

This is mostly for historical reasons. Initially we create network services as separate objects with two goals in mind: so they affect node status and so configuration will be a bit easier. Then service check DCIs was added for greater flexibility, but services as objects remains to maintain compatibility and because some people prefers to see them as objects (mostly in small installations). So I would say currently there are no advantages over DCIs.

Best regard,
Victor

Dani@M3T

Thanks for the background information Victor.
Good to know that network services are a little bit depresciated. So I will build up everything with DCIs.