netxms agent checks on non-agent compatible hosts

Started by raypetter, March 30, 2014, 12:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raypetter

We have a few hosts that are not capable of running netxms agents. VMware ESX for instance.

Is there a simple way of utilizing a netxms agent on a remote host that does cli checks on the ESX hosts, and tie these values to the ESX host in netxms?

Currently I have the ESX values stored on the host that is running the netxms-agent, along with its own checks. Not a pretty sight. I tried the proxy functionality but I guess that's just for relaying agent traffic.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

There are different functionality in NetXMS that is called proxy. One is agent proxy - when one agent used as a proxy to connect to another agent - this functionality you don't need. What you need is "proxy node" in DCI configuration - it allows you to configure DCI on one node but specify that real data collection will occur on another (proxy) node. In your case you will configure agent DCIs on ESX node and set proxy node to some ode with agent which can really collect this data. Don't forget to add ESX nodes to the list of trusted nodes on collecting node or disable trusted nodes check altogether.

Best regards,
Victor

raypetter

I believe I already tried what you suggested, but I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the feedback.