Easiest way to identify uplink ports on switching devices?

Started by Zebble, January 19, 2021, 10:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zebble

Is there an easy way to identify uplink ports on switching devices?  We'd like to automatically set the expected state on these interfaces to "UP" and all other ports to "IGNORE", as well as potentially add DCI automatically to these same "UP" ports.

I've started working through a server side script to add during polling, but thought I'd ask if there's an easier way I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Zeb

gkaudewitz

I did it within a Hook-script while configuration poll based on a prefix in the interface interface alias e.g. description.
For example ## at the beginning of the interfacedescription tells me to set expected state to "UP".
Second using this prefix within instance dicovery (instance discovery filter script) You can automatically generate DCIs for these interfaces.

Zebble

Great idea, and something we were just reviewing.  We use Mikrotik's exclusively, and we standardize interface names so should be able to base discovery on that.  Still makes it a bit "manual" but should keep us honest with proper alerts and monitoring.

Thanks!

Filipp Sudanov

Just in case, it's possible to read port forwarding database from NXSL - it's available in Topology.SwitchForwardingDatabase internal table. There's no access to L3 routing information yet, but it's planned to add https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-1999