NetXMS OS Platform

Started by lindeamon, January 29, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What OS platform do you use for NetXMS server.

Windows
112 (38.2%)
CentOS
28 (9.6%)
Debian
48 (16.4%)
Ubuntu Server
55 (18.8%)
Ubuntu
19 (6.5%)
Fedora
4 (1.4%)
OpenSUSE
8 (2.7%)
FreeBSD
8 (2.7%)
Redhat Enterprise Linux
4 (1.4%)
Suse Linux Enterprise
2 (0.7%)
Other
5 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 293

lindeamon

Hello All,

I am a windows sys admin but i always loved operating systems.
before i discovered NetXMS i have used OpenSUSE as my laptop OS just not to forget how to use Linux but when i came across NetXMS i have decided to install it both on windows and linux.
Now, I am facing a question to which i could not find a satisfying answer saying, which linux distro is best for enterprise and what others are commonly using in the IT industry for software like NetXMS or should i stick with windows.

Appriciate the info
Kind Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I use Debian for production installation in a company I'm working for. It was chosen mainly because I personally like Debian and Ubuntu distros and has good experience working with them. PostgreSQL is used as a backend database.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

Thank you victor !
i will try debian and see if it works for me.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

lindeamon

Hi All,

I do not want to open another poll for that but i have another question.
based on your Deployments, Do you use X Windows on your linux installations ?

Kind Regards,
Lindeamon

SKYnv

hi,
now on win32, but i planed use unix.

testos

Hi.
I have been working with CentOS systems over the past 5 years.
CentOS is a linux distribution built on the RedHat Enterprise Source RPMs. It's a clone of an enterprise linux distribution, RHEL which means it's very stable, well tested and for the most part on the ball with security patches.
With CentOS you will get an OS with updates available for more than one year. With this Linux distribution you will have five years of guaranteed available updates, and guaranteed upgradeability to CentOS 6 once it becomes available and CentOS 5 is EOLed (End Of Life).
CentOS systems may be working for many months without the slightest degradation.
CentOS is the only free enterprise operating system.

Best regards.

7novds

Windows, because I have a lot of licenses ;)

ngiallen

Most of the servers we have deployed are Debian/Ubuntu, primarily because that is where most of our collective knowledge here resides. That being said we use NetXMS on Ubuntu 16.04. The stability difference between Windows and *nix systems is tremendous. Most of our workstations are on Windows though.

To answer your follow up question, we use all headless (non x-win) systems, except for our 1 Windows Server. I believe, and this will probably spark a fiery debate, that to learn the most from a system, you have to have intimate knowledge of the console. GUI's are great for a lot of things, but the meat-and-potatoes comes from the console/ssh sessions.

Sorry to bump an old post.  :)

djdenney

Using version 3-3.285 on CentOS 8.1.

mgentili

Hi everyone, initially I used windows, now ubuntu server, both on the same virtual infrastructure. I prefer the installation on Ubuntu. I don't know if it's my impression but on OS Linux, NetXMS seems to be slightly more performing.

Best regards.

Massimo

xelander

I'm using 3.4.284 on CentOS 8