NetXMS video tutorial series

Started by tomaskir, January 05, 2015, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomaskir

Hi guys,

I present the NetXMS video tutorial series!

Full playlists:
NetXMS Basics
NetXMS NXSL Tutorials - coming soon™
NetXMS Advanced Tutorials

To receive new videos as soon as they are released, subscribe on youtube!

Videos:
Basics 1: NetXMS intro
Basics 2.1: Installing server on Linux
Basics 2.2: Installing server on Windows
Basics 3: NetXMS client and basic server settings
Basics 3.1: NetXMS Management Console - Perspectives
Basics 4: SNMP and NetXMS Agent
Basics 5: Adding nodes to monitor
Basics 6: Objects and basic organization
Basics 7: Polling and poll types
Basics 8: Data collection (DCIs)
Basics 9: Thresholds and Templates
Basics 10: Graphs and the Performance Tab
Basics 11: DCI Summary Tables
Basics 12: Maps and IP/MAC search
Basics 13: Syslog
Basics 14: Status Map
Basics 15: Dashboards

NXSL 1: NXSL Introduction
NXSL 2: NXSL Security
NXSL 3: Syntax and available functions
NXSL 4: Global Objects and Parameters
NXSL 5: Working with Containers
NXSL 6: Working with SNMP
NXSL 7: Working with NetXMS Agent
NXSL 8: Script DCIs
NXSL 9: Transformation scripts
NXSL 10: Filtering of Instance Discovery and Maps
NXSL 11: Auto-bind for Containers and Templates
NXSL 12: Scripts as Actions

Advanced 1: User management
Advanced 2: Advanced graphs
Advanced 3: Instance discovery
Advanced 4: Topology - VLANs, Wireless, etc.
Advanced 5: VPN Connector
Advanced 6: Event processing policy
Advanced 7: Sending emails
Advanced 8: NetXMS integration with Pushover
Advanced 9: Service monitoring

Any feedback is appreciated!

tzcole

Tomas,

I viewed your videos yesterday.  They are a very good introduction of the basics.  I think it was a good choice to hint at the advanced topics while leaving them out of this "Basics" series.

Some feedback...

• Very Awesome "NetXMS" Intro. Clip...   ;)
  • Audio for the Intro is louder than your narration.
  • On the "Basics 2.1: Installing for Linux" at 05:04", your terminal, using terminal-colors, is showing blue text on black background, which is hard to read.  Yes, I know it's not relevant text, since you replace it, but it would help give a "Newbie" to NetXMS a sense of direction, that his "Default" file matches what you show in the video.

I had to dig deep to find any criticism, so I hope you take that as a complement to your much appreciated work.  :)

Kind regards.

Cheers,
Tim

tomaskir

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback :)

• That was not done by me. I got it from Victor for usage in the videos.
  • I will fix that in future videos.
  • Will pick a better color-scheme if any more work is done in the terminal (I dont think more terminal work will be done in the basics series tho).

More videos coming soon... depending on how these are received, I might do an advanced series.

tzcole

Advanced videos would be welcome, perhaps even a small series just on scripting.

I've also been thinking of doing some videos, or at a minimum documentation for specific use cases.

I know on the MikroTik forums, a few users have been started discussion/threads on using NetXMS, since "The Dude" software they normally use seems to have been stalled for far too long.  In fact, that is how I made my way to NetXMS.

Perhaps we may need to solicit some advanced/specific use case topics that people are interested in.

Cheers,

flanky

Tomas i think NetXMS really needed your video series where you explain in greater depth topics.
Please continue. You are doing a great job. I have seen all of the videos so far and learned stuff...
Problem with Wiki and NetXMS documentation in general is that i feel like it was being written too quickly and in rush.
But i don't want to criticize, because the software itself is just too great.

tomaskir

3 new videos added to the Basics series today.
Audio should be a bit more leveled between speech and the intro/outro now :)

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Igetyaall

Hey There Finaly some more Vids :-)

Thanks for ur Work , preciate that so much .

Maybe if u could do a  howto   setup the VPN Connectors :-)

Thank u

tomaskir

3 more videos added to the Basics series.

Now taking requests for topics to be covered in the Advanced series!

Dave_W

New to NetXMS, just wanted to say thank you for the videos. Very well made and give a good foundation to get going.

normalcy

Just wanted to add to the sentiments, these videos are a big part of getting us to look at deploying NetXMS.  Look forward to more of them.

Thanks for the effort.

tomaskir

3 more videos added over the last couple of days.
Basics series is now finished and the Advanced series is getting worked on.

As mentioned previously, I am still accepting requests for topics to cover in Advanced, if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.

alireza.stack

That could be great to have a section about Network discovery and how to discover nodes behind a proxy and their corresponding parameters in server configuration. I think every sys admin would love to automate his work. ;-)

MHammett

Tomas, I would like a video tutorial on how to be awesome like you. You've done so much with this, it's a beacon for netXMS. If it weren't for Tomas's help and videos...  I would have looked at it, maybe installed it and moved on due to difficulty in figuring out how to use it. I  know all of the great things Tomas has done with NetXMS, so I plow ahead know he'll light my path.

edwin

hi Tomas,
Totally newbie with linux and trying to get netXMS running on ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
The first video i already stumble. When i get to the part op apt-get search netxms* there are no files found so something is going wrong.
Netxms changed webstructuur but i guess is has to be echo "deb http://packages.netxms.org debian wheezy main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/netxms.list
I do see some notifications like:
Reading package lists... Done
W: The repository 'http://packages.netxms.org debian Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: Failed to fetch http://packages.netxms.org/dists/debian/wheezy/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any help would be great!

tomaskir

If you turn on annotations in the video, it should tell you how to deal with that :)