No Windows event log message text

Started by bdefloo, December 31, 2012, 12:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdefloo

Hi,

I noticed a small problem on a number of nodes that have the NetXMS agent v1.2.4 installed.
The Windows system event log shows messages like:
The description for Event ID 23 from source NetXMS Win32 Agent cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Counter set B is empty, collector thread for that set will not start

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

instead of
Counter set B is empty, collector thread for that set will not start

Some googling led me to the registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\system\NetXMS Win32 Agent\EventMessageFile
which I found set to "C:\NetXMS\bin" rather than "C:\NetXMS\bin\nxagentd.exe". Changing it and restarting Event Viewer solved the problem on that node.

Could this be a bug in the installer somewhere? I can't seem to pinpoint what version it exactly went wrong as I've upgraded through several versions of the agent, but I have just had the problem with a clean install of the x64 v1.2.4 agent on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

Kind regards,
bdefloo

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Yes, I've found a bug in event source installation code. It appears in 1.2.3, when agent was converted to UNICODE. I've fixed it in 1.2.5.

Best regards,
Victor