NetXMS displaying our products as wrong interface type

Started by JesperEvertsson, October 04, 2016, 04:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesperEvertsson

Hi, we are trying to upgrade our SNMP profile to make sure our ethernet products show up correctly in different SNMP monitoring programs. When we use NetXMS most of the data look fine, but for some reason it displays ifType as 1(other) for our interface even though it should be 6(ethernetCsmacd). If we do a normal poll on ifType it responds with 6(ethernetCsmacd) and if we do a Configuration Poll (full) in NetXMS and check the data on Wireshark we can see that it does respond with a 6, and not a 1.

What could be the reason for NetXMS to display the Interface Type as 1 even though ifType answers 6?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

server requests OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3.ifIndex and in case of error sets ifType to 1. If device responds correctly than I suppose that for some reason server discards response packet. What NetXMS version you are using? Could you provide packet capture for configuration poll? Please try requesting .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3.ifIndex from device using NetXMS command line tool nxsnmpget - will it work as expected?

Best regards,
Victor

JesperEvertsson

Hello Victor, We are using Version 2.0.6 (8073). We tried getting the ifIndex from nxsnmpget and it responded with 1, as expected. We also tried ifType and it said 6, also as expected. I will attatch a Wireshark recording from our SNMP agent when doing a configuration poll.

Regards, Jesper

JesperEvertsson

I've tried to compare a wireshark capture from our product with captures from other products that displays the ifType correctly, but I can't really see where our products answers something weird. The only thing I noticed was that other products have 2 ethernet interfaces, the normal one and also a loopback interface. Could the fact that we only have one interface in our products be the cause of the problem?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

it's really strange, I don't see anything wrong in capture. Is it possible to provide me remote access via SNMP to your device so I can debug on our side?

Best regards,
Victor

JesperEvertsson

Hello Victor. We actually managed to get it to work by activating a loopback interface in our products operating system. Now NetXMS displays two interfaces with one ifType 24 and one ifType 6. Is this unexpected from your side, that this fix made it work better?

Regards, Jesper

Victor Kirhenshtein

It's definitely unexpected, and it's definitely bug on our side. I'll investigate it further. Thank you!

Best regards,
Victor