nxshell sometimes returns nxcexception: Request timed out

Started by BillLortz, March 27, 2014, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillLortz

I've been experimenting with nxshell to create an alarm monitoring process.   

After using it for a while, somehow things get into a strange mode where I can not invoke nxshell successfully anymore.   It doesn't matter whether I specify a script or try interactive mode.   

During this time, I don't see any other issues with NetXMS.   For example, I can connect to it with the java management console app successfully.   Even if I restart the NetXMS server, I seem to have the same problem.

To debug, I went into the server console in the management console and typed "show connections" while nxshell was trying to connect.  At the start of the process I see a "CMD_REQUEST_ENCRYPTION" state, then it switches to an "init" state, and then the session goes away.   Eventually nxshell/java returns the error "ncxexception: Request timed out".   the "CLTYPE shown during the failed attempt is "DESKTOP <not logged in> [n/a]".

Once in a while it will work again, but then subsequent attempts fail.   This happened to me yesterday evening and I finally gave up.  This morning I was able to use nxshell for several hours and then this failure started again.   I'm guessing that if I let it sit for a while, things will start working again.

The version of the nxshell and server are 1.2.9    I can't upgrade yet to the latest version because I'll have to update 80 different locations and need to schedule that.   The server is on a different system than nxshell, so I'm specifying its IP address to connect to with the "-D" command.   

Is there some sort of parameter I should be playing with on the server or nxshell to get this to work consistently?  Any ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bill

BillLortz

I forgot to mention that when nxshell is able to connect, if I monitor the process I see it go into a CMD_GET_OBJECTS state with AES-256 and a CLTYPE of DESKTOP    [nxjclient/1.2.9 Linux 3.13.5-1-ARCH; libnxcl 1.2.9)]

When it is failing, I've tried it with and without encryption and don't see any difference in the error message.

At the moment, nxshell is behaving again.   I don't know how long it will last.