Pushing beta

Started by raypetter, March 21, 2015, 04:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raypetter

Hi

This is not really general support, so please forgive me as I didn't find a better place to put this.

I find it puzzling that the beta is being pushed as the latest download, and latest stable (1.2.17 ?) is found in the archive.

The number one priority for me as a user of netxms is a reliable and robust alerting system. Ofcourse I want to contribute on testing the latest code, but not in production. So I am a bit confused as to why the 2.0 branch is promoted on the download page, and 1.2.17 is "hidden".

I would like to see the download page split into "stable" and "milestone/testing". It would be a step in the right direction.

tomaskir

2.0M2 is actually more stable and bug-free then 1.2.17.
You can see from the change-logs that M1 and M2 dont have critical system changes.

I would definitely recommend M2 over 1.2.17 because of bug fixes that are in there.

M3 will have major changes tho, so your point is valid for M3.

raypetter

The M releases doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. If they are more stable than the 1.2.27 release then why were they called M in the first place? It's beta milestones or have I completely misunderstood something? The debs are even under notation beta:

https://www.netxms.org/apt/dists/wheezy/beta/

Victor Kirhenshtein

Actually it was not a good idea to hide 1.2.17 in archive. We will change download page to offer both versions. As for M releases - it may be quite stable (as 2.0-M2 for example) or may not. Main reason why we use M releases now is significant amount of internal changes (mostly targeted at IPv6 support).

Best regards,
Victor

raypetter

Thanks Victor. This makes more sense. I'm running 1.2.27 in production, and will upgrade once M is a proper non-beta release.

Offering milestone/beta releases is a big thumbs up. It will provide us more peace of mind when we divide between production and testing the latest and greatest. Great work to you guys. It's highly appreciated.

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on March 22, 2015, 10:54:12 PM
Actually it was not a good idea to hide 1.2.17 in archive. We will change download page to offer both versions. As for M releases - it may be quite stable (as 2.0-M2 for example) or may not. Main reason why we use M releases now is significant amount of internal changes (mostly targeted at IPv6 support).

Best regards,
Victor