Removing a node from a template

Started by raypetter, January 19, 2014, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raypetter

Hi

I can't seem to find a logical way to remove a node from a template.

A quick howto would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Kirhenshtein

Right click on the template, select "unbind", and then select node(s) you want to remove.

Could you please describe ways you've tried, so we can analyse them and possibly implement in future releases?

raypetter

Right clicking the template did not reveal any "unbind" selections. Unmanage was the closest, and that's not a valid choice for a template.

The way I approached it, was to investigate template properties hoping I could remove the bindings from there. Also tried to right click a node under a template for anything like "unbind from template". Even tried removing the node (delete) but that obviously removed the node entirely from netxms.

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: raypetter on January 20, 2014, 10:55:49 PM
Right clicking the template did not reveal any "unbind" selections. Unmanage was the closest, and that's not a valid choice for a template.

The way I approached it, was to investigate template properties hoping I could remove the bindings from there. Also tried to right click a node under a template for anything like "unbind from template". Even tried removing the node (delete) but that obviously removed the node entirely from netxms.

Right click on the template name (under "Templates" root) and select "Remove..." then you can choose the node(s) on which to operate, after that you will be prompted to select between "Remove DCIs from the node" or "Unbind DCIs from template" the first unbind from the template and removes the collected data from the node, the second unbinds from the template and leave a copy of them in the node (without losing the history already collected)

Best regards,
Marco

raypetter

Ah, I see. But from a users perspective I avoided clicking "Remove" as it would mean removing the template itself. It really needs to be updated to "remove node(s)" or something similar.

Thanks for your help.

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: raypetter on January 23, 2014, 12:21:44 PM
Ah, I see. But from a users perspective I avoided clicking "Remove" as it would mean removing the template itself. It really needs to be updated to "remove node(s)" or something similar.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah but for that you have "Delete"  :P

raypetter

its not intuitive ...

For example, if I want to remove a group in active directory - I don't expect to be asked which persons I want to remove after right clicking and selecting "remove" on the group itself. Makes very little sense.

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: raypetter on January 23, 2014, 01:47:50 PM
its not intuitive ...

For example, if I want to remove a group in active directory - I don't expect to be asked which persons I want to remove after right clicking and selecting "remove" on the group itself. Makes very little sense.

I guess it's just matter of convention :)
By the way the "Delete" command is coherent all around the software when you want to "phisically" delete something (a node, a DCI, a template, a dashboard and everything else).

Best regards,
Marco

raypetter

Netxms is a fantastic piece of software, it still lacks some bells and whistles on the GUI. Especially for new users. This is just one example that confuse users. The minute you start doubting feedback from your users, you'll start loosing users.

The delete reference could just as easily be "delete nodes reference to this template". Just doesn't make sense. It also does not make sense why one should be able to delete a node physically from the template view...

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: raypetter on January 25, 2014, 07:54:04 PM
Netxms is a fantastic piece of software, it still lacks some bells and whistles on the GUI. Especially for new users. This is just one example that confuse users. The minute you start doubting feedback from your users, you'll start loosing users.

The delete reference could just as easily be "delete nodes reference to this template". Just doesn't make sense. It also does not make sense why one should be able to delete a node physically from the template view...

Hi,
I have the impression that maybe you have misunderstood my reply. I'm not interested in doubting or not about your feedback; when you posted the question, I simply tried to give my contribution in helping you to solve the problem encountered. That's all!

Best regard,
Marco

jonasc

I'm a newbie too. I agree with the thread owner.

Also, "apply" maybe should be changed to "assign node" or similar.

While talking about templates...
When I have a node under a template and (while looking for how to remove the node from it) I was a second from clicking "delete" on the node under the template.
My initial thought would be that it's just a reference to the object and that the reference is being removed.
But it seems that you remove the whole node.

Thanks for your time

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

I see few options to improve this:

1) rename "Remove" option on template to "Remove from node" (or something similar that will not imply destruction of template itself);
2) add context menu option "remove from template" to node under template, which will remove node from that particular template.

Best regards,
Victor