Saving Traps received to some DB or File

Started by darshakamodi, September 05, 2011, 01:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darshakamodi

Dear All,

I want to save SNMP Trap log which are traps received from other systems.
How would i do that? And how would i do some action/even if a trap is received ?

Please let me know how to do that.

THanks
Darshak

lindeamon

hi darshak,

to the first question i will let the big guy,victor answer since i am a common user like you.
the answer to your 2nd question will be divided to 4 parts and all the tools you need are provided in the control panel assuming you are using the old console
part 1: you have to create an event in the "events" tool.the info u need to enter there is very strait forward and u can use prebuilt events as an examples.
part 2: you have to create a new trap configuration with the "snmp trap configuration" tool.again, the info you need to enter is strait forward.
part 3: using the "actions" tool u need to create the action u want to invoke when such a trap is received.
part 4: using the "event processing policy editor" you need to create a policy with the event created earlier and the action you want to perform.

hope this info will be enough for you to start using this awesome piece of software.
lindeamon

darshakamodi

Thanks !.

let me check and comeback for this.

Sympology

Ok two ways for SNMP, traps and polling.

A quick guide.
Changes (including things up / down) are usually SENT to NetXMS  from the device. These are usually configured under "Trap Destinations" or similar.
Status, e.g. tempreture or items in use, are usally polled for i.e. NetXMS requests the info from the device.
Here you really need to make sure that your SNMP authentication details match and your destination will accept requests from NetXMS for info.
Then you will need to make sure you have the mibs for that device set on NetXMS.
Then the hard work of matching and alerting sets in :-)

darshakamodi

Thanks a lot..Yep that much configuration is done for Trap Receiver.

Now I have single OID with different String values. How do i match in SNMP Traps -> New  Trap ID -Events..

I want to match the string not OID is it possible ?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

No. it's not possible to match traps with same OID to different events. However, you can do additional matching in event processing policy using scripts, and process same event differently depending on trap parameter values.

Best regards,
Victor

darshakamodi

Actually, I am not good with details on Trap and its parameters, but would do that and test as per below guidelines.