SNMP Mib Explorer crash on v2.0-M2

Started by knut4linux, February 04, 2015, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knut4linux

Hi,

after upgrade (without errors) from 1.2.17 -> 2.0-M2 i can't open the SNMP-MIB-Explorer. The Console try's to open the Mib-Explorer but crash without any error.

The new Version run in a Testenvironment on a unix-based vmware. On my production vm (1.2.17) it works fine.

Has anyone an idea?  :o

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

do you have anything logged in $HOME/.nxmc/data/.metadata/.log ?

Best regards,
Victor

knut4linux

Hi Victor,

i'll check this and give you feedback (latest tomotrrow)...

thx for help

knut4linux

Hi Victor,

following is logged whe i try to open the MIB-Explorer:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.rap.ui 4 0 2015-02-05 14:30:51.549
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

thanks in advanced

knut4linux

I know i've to encrease my heap size. Bit I've no idea where i've to do it... Is there a java config file available or is a misstake in tomcat configuration?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Is it web UI or desktop console? For web UI, you have to change -Xms and -Xmx options in tomcat startup script. For desktop console, you can edit nxmc.ini file and change Xms and Xmx options there.

Best regards,
Victor

knut4linux

Oh no  :-[, is embarrassing to me. I resized the heap size for nxmc application. Thats it...

ndaami

Hi Victor,

Can you give us more details about -Xms and -Xmx options  and how/where can we change it ?

tomaskir

Quote from: ndaami on January 25, 2016, 02:29:52 PM
Hi Victor,

Can you give us more details about -Xms and -Xmx options  and how/where can we change it ?
They need to be set for Tomcat.
You need to pass -Xms and -Xmx startup parameters to the JVM.

How to set them differs depending on how you installed Tomcat.
Depending on your Tomcat packaging, you need to set those in the Tomcat startup script (usually '/etc/init.d/tomcat8' or similiar).
For some distributions you can however modify '/etc/default/tomcat8' where those parameters are kept.

I suggest looking at the documentation and finding out how your package sets the 'JAVA_OPTS' Tomcat parameters.

ndaami

thanks for your reply,

okay i understood the idea ! My tomcat version is 8 and his default JAVA_OPTS is "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms128M" but i have some questions.

what's the difference between Xms and Xmx options ?
how to optimize such parameters, known that my os is ubuntu server 14 with 8 Gb RAM ?

finally should i use "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M"

thanks again.

tomaskir

Quote from: ndaami on January 25, 2016, 03:05:05 PM
thanks for your reply,

okay i understood the idea ! My tomcat version is 8 and his default JAVA_OPTS is "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms128M" but i have some questions.

what's the difference between Xms and Xmx options ?
how to optimize such parameters, known that my os is ubuntu server 14 with 8 Gb RAM ?

finally should i use "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M"

thanks again.
Xms is the amount of memory Tomcat allocates on startup.
Xmx is the max memory Tomcat will allocate.

What these values should be set at depends on how many applications are running on your Tomcat, and how many users are using them.
For NetXMS Console, I would recommend atleast 256MB of RAM per concurrent user of your web UI.

All together I recommend something like this:

-Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom -Xms????M -Xmx????M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC

Replace the ?s with the amount of memory you want to allocate to Tomcat.
There are also many articles on the web on Tomcat tuning.

ndaami

i have tried with "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M" and with your suggestion but i cannot open the MIB Explorer on Web UI [chrome  and FireFox browser].
it shows processing for some times and we got nothing however in the windows console app it work without any problem.
it's a fresh install did i forget something to intall ?

please help

tomaskir

Please check in Server Manager (http://[ip/fqdn]:8080/manager/status) if the correct memory really is set.

You should see under JVM something like this:
JVM
Free memory: 423.20 MB Total memory: 495.37 MB Max memory: 1007.37 MB

ndaami

sorry but i got http 404 not found, it seems that ubuntu repositroy does not install manager app auto so i have to resolve this issues and i will return to the forum tomorow

thanks for you help.

ndaami

hi tomaskir,

your guess was correct. The memory was unset.
After a search on the web,  i made the change on CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms2048M -Xmx2048M".
this change should be in setenv.sh file (create it if doesn't exist) as [export CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms2048M -Xmx2048M"] in the same directory as catalina.sh wich will load it at the start. After  a tomcat restart i was able to open MIB Explorer on Web interface.

thanks again and have a nice day  :)