netxms agend and connection direction ?

Started by hkusulja, April 20, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkusulja

Hi,
as I understand, netxms server, connects to the netxms agent on both TCP and UDP 4700 (default.)

However, is there a way, that agent connects to the server (instead oposite) and delivers the desired data?

I have few situations, where my monitored nodes are behind NAT and I can not do port forwarding. Only option is that agent delivers periodicaly (pools) data to the server, and if for some times agent does not report data to the server, we can mark node as down.

Is this feature supported and if so, how to configure it ?

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: hkusulja on April 20, 2014, 12:16:12 PM
Hi,
as I understand, netxms server, connects to the netxms agent on both TCP and UDP 4700 (default.)

However, is there a way, that agent connects to the server (instead oposite) and delivers the desired data?

I have few situations, where my monitored nodes are behind NAT and I can not do port forwarding. Only option is that agent delivers periodicaly (pools) data to the server, and if for some times agent does not report data to the server, we can mark node as down.

As far as I know the only option to send data to the server is using the command line tools "nxpush" and "nxapush". The problem is that they works only with the "Push" origin, this means that you cannot use the agent collected parameters directly.
If you have the possibility to NAT just one of the nodes you can then use it as proxy to allow the server to connect to the agents installed on the other nodes.

Best regards,
Marco

hkusulja

Quote from: Marco Incalcaterra on April 20, 2014, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: hkusulja on April 20, 2014, 12:16:12 PM
Hi,

As far as I know the only option to send data to the server is using the command line tools "nxpush" and "nxapush". The problem is that they works only with the "Push" origin, this means that you cannot use the agent collected parameters directly.
If you have the possibility to NAT just one of the nodes you can then use it as proxy to allow the server to connect to the agents installed on the other nodes.

Best regards,
Marco
Hi,
Thank you for reply, I am aware of Agent proxy feature which is nice, however in some particular cases I do not have any option to forward / open any of ports, so this is reason why I am using this.
Is there a way to automate push that you mentioned ?

Or I should write this as new feature request ? :)

Thank you once more

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: hkusulja on April 20, 2014, 08:28:46 PM
Hi,
Thank you for reply, I am aware of Agent proxy feature which is nice, however in some particular cases I do not have any option to forward / open any of ports, so this is reason why I am using this.
Is there a way to automate push that you mentioned ?

Or I should write this as new feature request ? :)

Thank you once more

Hi,

I've automated it just writing a batch file that I run as a scheduled task. I'm not aware of a smarter way to do it but, honestly, it works fine in my case and I didn't spend any other time to find a smarter way :P

Best regards,
Marco