Timescale DB VS Postgres

Started by gmonk63, June 04, 2020, 06:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmonk63

Has any one done any comparison of the two ?   When would one be recommend over the other.  I have noticed at times with Timescale I often get disconnects from nxmc  when im doing a lot at once.  I have never had these issues with mysql or postgres.

Thanks,

Gary

Filipp Sudanov

With postgres or mysql there's a problem of housekeeping - deleting old datapoints when storage time elapses. This process may create big load on the database, especially if it's big.
For timescale deletion is very optimal - a whole chunk of data for one day is deleted. There are a few sets of chunks - one for "Default" retention time and a few other sets <7 days, 7..30, 30..90, 90..180, >180 days. But the trick is that it's not possible to delete a daily chunk, if it contains data for at least one DCI that retention time has not elapsed yet. As the result, timescale database might take more storage space.
Currently there's an issue when changing DCI retention time - https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-1795

Can you give more details, what exactly you are doing in nxmc when you get disconnected? Does it replicates reliably, or randomly?