Monitoring offsite network

Started by rm4711, August 24, 2014, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rm4711

Hello,

I have to monitor some client networks and I wonder if I can do this with NetXMS (and how  :D ).

After reading the documentation and searching the forum I don't really know if and how I can do this (maybe this ist done by a proxy agent)?

The networks I want to monitor are between 5 and 30 Computers and one or two servers. Some networks have a fixed outside IP the others don't.
By myself, I have a fixed IP. The offsite networks are _not_ connected via VPN to me.

Can I monitor the client network and what are the steps?

Thank you very much.
Gernot

lindeamon

Hi,

i am sure that you can do it with NetXMS but we need to have more details.
1. can you install the netxms server at the client network and connect to it via console or web from outside ?
2. how does the client networks connect to the internet ?
3. can you configure port forwarding ?
4. if the client networks connect to the internet through dynamic ip the you have to use a service called dynamic dns.

as you can see we need more details before we can answer.

Regards,
Lindeamon

rm4711

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

1. Yes, I can install the netxms server at the client network.
2. The client networks connect to the internet via router.
3. Yes, I can configure port forwarding
4. I have the possibility to use dynamic dns (even I don't want it   :-\ )

Regards from Germany.
Gernot

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

probably using proxy agents is best solution for you. All you need is to open port 4700 for connection from NetXMS server to just one server with agent. You can turn on encryption and authentication for security. All devices and servers could then be monitored via this single proxy. You may also need to enable zoning and setup separate zone for each remote site - it may simplify proxy configuration (as you can define default proxy settings on zone level) and is required if remote networks have overlapped IP addresses.

Best regards,
Victor

spc

the rm4711 forgot to say thanks :)

But i will say it, this was very helpfull to me. I have migrated from zabbix.

resimpson1966

So you state that the server communicates with the remote network through a port forward.. Is there any way to do the opposite where the remote proxy "Phones Home" to the server like most other remote proxy setups like Zabbix.  This should be the more normal route because of security concerns you could open for your clients.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Currently it's not possible to setup connection from proxy agent to server. We have it in our roadmap though.

Best regards,
Victor