News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

Install Agent 2.2.1 fails

Started by Spheron, December 08, 2017, 11:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spheron

Hello @all,

if i want to install the Agent 2.2.1 (x64) there are several error messages (please see the attachments). after i quit the installer i take a look at the process explorer (please see attachment).

Here i can see an open handle or file access from the svchost.exe at the nxagent.exe (NetXMS service was quit before).  I can't restart the windows eventlog service in cause of the dependency from scheduler. I could only install the agent after a server reboot.

My first idea: We use NetXMS to trigger an alarm from windows event log with the logwatch subagent. Could there be the problem?

At the moment i tried at 4x Servers (Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit) to install NetXMS Agent. Two via NetXMS Package Manager and two via a manual execution of the agent installer. On all system i have the same behaviour.

Is there anything i can do?

Greets
Marco

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

we are checking this.

Best regards,
Victor

Spheron

Hello Victor,

thanx for the fast response. If i can help with more informations or logfiles please let me know...

Greets
Marco

Victor Kirhenshtein

What is current version of NetXMS agent that you are trying to upgrade?

Spheron

We are trying to upgrade agents running at V2.1.2

Spheron

Hello @all,

unfortunately the above described behaviour is still present. I tried to update from Windows Agent 2.2.4 (64bit) to Windows Agent 2.2.6 (64bit) but i have no chance to update the agent. Error is the same as described above. I had to reboot all our 30x servers to install the NetXMS agent.

Has anyone more infos or workaround for this problem, please?

Greetings
Marco

----
Running NetXMS Server 2.2.6 64bit on Windows 7 / Agents are at V2.2.4

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

I can confirm that issue is caused by logwatch subagent usage. Event log service process keeps agent exe file open. I'm working on fix/workaround for this.

Best regards,
Victor

Victor Kirhenshtein

After some more testing it seems that logwatch itself is not an issue - event log service will open nxagentd.exe when there are active event log viewer with "System" log open (or any other process that reads event log via Wevt API) - but event log service will close it when reader terminates. Can you check if there are active event log viewer process or any other process that possibly reads system event log? If yes, can you close/restart those processes?

Best regards,
Victor

Spheron

Hello Victor,

think i found something. System must be a VMWare Windows VM (Server 2008R1/2016), VMWare tools installed. Steps to reproduce:

- NetXMS Agent is running and still the nxagentd.exe handle from svchost.exe exist
- Stopping VMWare Tools Service (Service "VMTools", V10.1.15)
- Waiting for couple of minutes (1-3)
- nxagentd.exe handle from svchost.exe is gone away

Now, i can update des NetXMS Agent via NetXMS Server or agent installer exe

I can this reproduce on all our Windows VM's (Server 2008R2/2016 64bit).

Physical machines seems not be affected. Here i can upgrade the agent without any problems (i looked at process explorer bevor update: there exist no nxagentd.exe handle from svchost.exe

Hope this helps and perhaps, you can find a workaround/fix for that...

Greetings
Marco

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

then it looks like VMWare tools service is subscribed to event log and so event log service has to hold the lock on nxagentd.exe. I see two possible solutions:

1. Check if nxagentd.exe is locked, attempt to stop VMWare Tools service and retry (probably multiple times).

2. Check if nxagentd.exe is locked, rename it (should be allowed), and retry installation. Then attempt to delete backup file(s) on next upgrade or at system restart. This is universal as it is not important what exact process causing lock.

I'll try to implement one of these in 2.2.7 installer.

Best regards,
Victor

Spheron

By the way:

with activated Vmware Tools service nextxms can't read the windows performance counters (if i poll netxms configuration from via netxms server):

[21.06.2018 09:50:32]    Reading list of available Windows Performance Counters...
[21.06.2018 09:50:36]    unable to get Windows Performance Counters list

If i stop the the vmware service, netxms CAN poll the windows performance counters:

[21.06.2018 09:51:13]    Reading list of available Windows Performance Counters...
[21.06.2018 09:51:18]    159 counters read

After starting Vmware Tools service netxms can further polling windows performance counters.

Maybe that help you further...

Greetings
Marco

Spheron

Hello Victor,

thanks for fixing the vmware tools thing... :-)

Greetings
Marco