Mac - Upgraded console to 2.2.1; updated to Java 8 Update 161 => Java errors

Started by Brough, February 01, 2018, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brough

Hi, we recently migrated a 2.0.7 installation to a new server with 2.2.1.  That went successfully, then we updated multiple Windows 7 and Windows 10 boxes to Java 8 and the 2.2.1 management console, again without problems. 

Now I'm trying to upgrade my Mac, so far without success.  The Mac is running MacOS 10.12.6.  I installed nxmc-2.2.1.dmg.  When it gave a java error, I installed Java 8 update 161.  Then I re-installed nxmc-2.2.1.dmg.  Still fails to start.

The log file is attached below, but from the first few lines, it's clear the Mac is confused about Java versions.
    !SESSION 2018-02-01 14:15:57.316 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.6.0_65

The Java Control Panel only shows one version of Java installed:  1.8.0_161.

I'll go search through Apple forums (where it's already clear Java on Apple is a mess) but if there is a quick answer which I've missed, please point it out.
Thanks.

Brough

An answer on stackoverflow for a Mac user struggling to get eclipse running suggested downloading and installing the JDK.  I went to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html and downloaded the jdk-8u161 for macosx which provided some progress if not the solution.  Now opening a terminal and typing "java -version" returns "1.8.0_161" - certainly a breakthrough, and the NetXMS console app gets farther.

Now the console app displays its login screen with the Server address preset to the address of the former NetXMS server with the cursor flashing in the Password box.  Unfortunately, all keyboard or mouse interaction with this app is frozen.  I can't make any progress from this screen except to cntl-click on the icon in the tray and select quit. Other apps are not affected, so there is still something with Java on the Mac which I won't have time to further pursue for a day or so.

Any insights would be welcome.
Thanks.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

we were able to reproduce this issue on one machine (we never encounter this on our development machines). Will update as soon as we will found a solution.

Best regards,
Victor

Dani@M3T

I see Java problems on a customers Mac too.

@Victor: Is there already a solution?

thanks
Dani

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

it seems to be related to Java version. Some older versions of Java 1.8 seems to be working but 1.8.0_161 does not. We didn't find a fix/workaround yet. If you have installation of older 1.8 JDK it could help.

Best regards,
Victor

Dani@M3T

I let the customer try first with V8U161 JDK and after that with V5U151. We will see.

thnaks
Dani

Victor Kirhenshtein

If V5U151 means Java 5 then it would not work for different reasons. Console requires at least Java 7.

Best regards,
Victor

Dani@M3T

sorry Victor, it's a typo, should be V8U151, V5 would be stone age  :)

Dani@M3T

sorry, I waited for the test results of the customer. JDK8 update151 works, JDK8 update 161 not.