Bug: Port number reverting to default/161 after failed poll attempt

Started by Millenium7, September 30, 2019, 04:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

This is a big problem for us at the moment. I've noticed a bunch of devices that I setup for monitoring have changed from port i've manually set (1616) to the default (161) and this changes the device that NetXMS actually monitors

The setup is there's a bunch of small MikroTik routers and DSLAM's behind those routers. The routers have a forwarding rule, anything UDP 1616 forward to the DSLAM on port 161
Both the router and DSLAM therefore share an IP address, but both can be polled via SNMP on different port numbers. The default of 161 for the Router, and 1616 for the DSLAM

This works fine initially but it seems that if a device stops responding for whatever reason, then NetXMS tries the default port number of 161, this then succeeds and it uses that information, screwing up the monitoring as now its polling the router, not the DSLAM

Filipp Sudanov

What NetXMS version are you using?
In 3.0 there is Prevent automatic SNMP configuration changes checkbox in SNMP communication properties that should prevent NetXMS from trying the default port.

Millenium7

I saw this checkbox, but is there a way to make this the default behavior? I'm happy to have that checkbox ticked for everything in NetXMS
Problem is when i'm going through adding 20 DSLAM's, if 1 of them doesn't add successfully the first time I won't be able to go in and change that option before it reverts to the default port number anyway
Plus adding devices then having to go in and make fiddly manual changes afterwards is always a pain

Filipp Sudanov