DCI in template with {instance} parameter in WMI, WMI as tables?

Started by hkusulja, May 07, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkusulja

Hi,
I figured out that I can use DCI for monitoring filesystems with NetXMS agent for instance: FileSystem.UsedPerc({instance})
There is {instance} parameter and this will create for each filesystem it founds, its own DCI on node, and this is fine.

I am trying to achieve the same effect but with different Origin - WMI - Windows Performance Counters.
For instance:
\PhysicalDisk(C:)\Disk Reads/sec
\PhysicalDisk(D:)\Disk Reads/sec

i have tried to put \PhysicalDisk({instance})\Disk Reads/sec but it does not work.

Is this NetXMS limitation, that it does not support {instance} / reading WMI as a table, or I am doing something wrong ?
I need this feature for multiple stuff (disk space, disk io, network interfaces etc.) some stuff I can do with NetXMS agent Origin, but there is more stuff in WMI that I need which are missing in Agent.

Please advise.

Thank you

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

WMI (stands for Windows Management Instrumentation) is not Windows Performance Counters - it's two different things. First you should understand what exactly you want to use. From the name \PhysicalDisk({instance})\Disk Reads/sec I suppose you are trying to use Windows Performance Counters. In this case, instance discovery will not work because DCI origin is not agent. It could be a feature request, but currently it's not possible.

Best regards,
Victor

hkusulja

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on May 08, 2014, 04:51:02 PM
Hi!

WMI (stands for Windows Management Instrumentation) is not Windows Performance Counters - it's two different things. First you should understand what exactly you want to use. From the name \PhysicalDisk({instance})\Disk Reads/sec I suppose you are trying to use Windows Performance Counters. In this case, instance discovery will not work because DCI origin is not agent. It could be a feature request, but currently it's not possible.

Best regards,
Victor
I believe that NetXMS agent uses, local WMI to localhost to get Performance Counters, however maybe I am wrong and thank you for correcting me.

Ok, yes, I am interested in Performance Counters - {instance} feature then, any clues about this ?

Thank you

Victor Kirhenshtein

NetXMS agent uses PDH API to access performance counters. You can add feature request to our bug tracker for instance discovery support for perf counter DCIs.

Best regards,
Victor

hkusulja

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on May 08, 2014, 05:00:06 PM
NetXMS agent uses PDH API to access performance counters. You can add feature request to our bug tracker for instance discovery support for perf counter DCIs.
Great, thank you, feature request is created here: https://www.radensolutions.com/chiliproject/issues/567