Globally set interface expected state severity to WARNING or MINOR

Started by blazarov, June 28, 2019, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blazarov

Hello,
we are monitoring hundreds of network devices with many interfaces each.
Interface expected state is a neat and useful feature, but the default behavior of propagate as "Critical" does not fit our use case.

When a device is completely unreachable - that is critical for me, whereas when an interface that is expected to be UP goes DOWN, that is probably WARNING or MINOR.
and that covers 100% of our nodes and use cases.
So my question is - what would be the most simple and elegant way to globally change the behavior?
I know how to change it on a per-port basis - properties on port; set propagate as->fixed value->warning
I suppose i can make a script that regularly iterates all interfaces on all nodes to set that, probably also a script on a Hook (more optimal), but i was wondering if there is just a simple global way to configure it?

blazarov

BTW is there a way to set interface propagate as fixed value in script? I saw few others asked the same thing in the years before with no answer.
My idea is to set it in Hook:CreateInterface if there is no other way to change the behavior globally.

paul

I have a similar request for a different reason.

I have a couple of hundred routers that have a fallback connectivity option that automatically switches. I do not particular care to have these devices have a status of critical when all that has happened is that we have flipped from the primary to the secondary connectivity.

I would like the option of yes/no - include Interface status in Node status calculation.
I would also like the option on the General panel to see why status is the way it is. Status = Critical still involves me having to check whereas the following would be better:

Current
Status = Critical

Proposed:
Connectivity State = (UP/DOWN) - from status polling - including last connectivity time - one each for the what is listed in capabilities.
Interface status =  whatever the status is
DCI threshold status =  whatever the status is
Status included in overall node status - Connectivity + DCI (do not include Interface status)
Show Nodes down as separate severity and colour (yes / no) - so that for node that are down, I can see this clearly.