News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

Instance Discovery questions

Started by touton, June 18, 2013, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touton

Hello,

I'm trying to use Instance Discovery with SNMP values.

Is there a way to modify DCI description ? I wanted to add dci per interfaces, and currently I can just concatenate interface ID with a text. Is it possible to change $dci->description value ? I've tried to do this in the filter script with no luck.

I also tried to use trace function, but it looks to be inactivated :(

Last thing, I've tried to SNMP walk OID with this one : .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16 (64bits values). I've got no result (I've cut and paste a config from Victor without success)
https://www.netxms.org/forum/configuration/instance-discovery-filter-scrip/msg10449/#msg10449

Thanks for your feedback

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Currently it's not possible to rename DCIs created via instance discovery. I'll think what I can do for this in the future.

Trace function should work. Do you get other debug messages in the log? Maybe you specify debug level higher then actually enabled?

Do your device supports 64-bit interface counters? When you do SNMP walk on .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16 in MIB explorer, do you get results? Also, don't forget that instance discovery occurs at configuration poll, so you won't see new DCIs until next configuration poll (you can run it manually as well).

Best regards,
Victor

touton

QuoteTrace function should work. Do you get other debug messages in the log? Maybe you specify debug level higher then actually enabled?
Yes, I've opened a session on the server and tail netxmsd log file, I've also opened a server console and key in debug 1 (tried also for fun debug 9 : tail went crazzy).

QuoteDo your device supports 64-bit interface counters? When you do SNMP walk on .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16 in MIB explorer, do you get results?
Yes I've made a try, and it founded values. I've reused the same settings with a regular interface OID, and it works so I really think issue is related with extended OID.

Quotedon't forget that instance discovery occurs at configuration poll
I'm doing my modifications, save, and close data collection configuration tab. I've also found that it is better to delete all the discovered DCI in the node Data Collection Configuration window before manually starting poll/Configuration on the node

sperlm

I have to admit I have troubles with using trace too. I even created script to flood all trace levels with a simple message and try to run it in console whenever I need to restart server (and start it with yet another level of debug) and look in all logs I can.
Btw there is no log called "main log" specifically - I might be looking at wrong places ?

As for the DCI description customization... {instance} is a lil bit clumsy for naming purposes but working. What are you trying to achieve?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Just checked trace. I've created simple script:

for(i = 0; i <= 9; i++)
trace(i, "Trace at level " . i);

and run it on my test server console (with debug level set to 6). Output is as expected:

netxmsd: exec c:\temp\trace.nxsl
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 0
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 1
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 2
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 3
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 4
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 5
[20-Jun-2013 12:32:15.828] Trace at level 6
INFO: Script finished with rc=0

netxmsd:

Best regards,
Victor