Interface expected state

Started by bdefloo, May 09, 2012, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdefloo

Hello,

I've noticed under the Interfaces tab in the Object Details view of a node there's a new column "Exp. State". From what I gather in the change log, this is the expected state of an interface.

This sounds like a feature I certainly could use, as at the moment all down ports on my switches are unmanaged; meaning I won't know when they come up either. Where can the expected state of an interface be set? Or is this for a future update?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Expected interface state can be set in interface object's properties, on "Polling" tab. There are 3 possible values:

UP (default) - interface expected to be up. If not, interface object goes to CRITICAL state and SYS_IF_DOWN event generated.
DOWN - interface expected to be down. If it is up, interface object goes to CRITICAL state and SYS_IF_UNEXPECTED_UP event generated.
IGNORE - interface status is of no interest. Interface object will always be in NORMAL state, regardless of link status.

Please note that administratively down interface will still be placed into DISABLED state, regardless of expected state setting.

Best regards,
Victor

bdefloo

Thanks for the excellent information!

Is there any way to set the expected state for a selection of interfaces? Opening them one by one and adjusting it can get a bit tedious.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Currently there are no way to do this. I'm also facing this problem, so next version will definitely have this feature :)

Best regards,
Victor