Manual start discovery process

Started by pcmaster, January 11, 2013, 09:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcmaster

Hi, Victor!

How I can start discovery process manually?
I have network with about 3000 nodes (more than). "Network Discovety" process on 1.2.4 version couldn't find all devices for three days. In new 1.2.5 version it process occur more quickly. But it would be desirable start this process manually and more intensively.
How I can do it?
---
WBR, Vladimir!

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Discovery process is running all the time in the background. You can speed it up a bit by:
1. adding key devices manually
2. putting more frequently used SNMP community strings to the top of community string list
3. decreasing value of server's configuration parameter DiscoveryPollingInterval

Best regards,
Victor

pcmaster

What differences between server configuration variables "ActiveDiscoveryInterval" and "DiscoveryPollingInterval"?
---
WBR, Vladimir.

macro

Quote from: pcmaster on January 12, 2013, 08:17:43 PM
What differences between server configuration variables "ActiveDiscoveryInterval" and "DiscoveryPollingInterval"?

There are two types of network discovery in NetXMS. One is a passive discovery, which periodically checks arp caches and routing tables of known nodes. Second one is an active discovery which scans one or more configured network ranges. ActiveDiscoveryInterval is responsible for active discovery periodicity and DiscoveryPollingInterval specifies passive. You should set ActiveDiscoveryInterval to a reasonably big value (hours or even days) for obvious network performance reasons.

pcmaster

Hi, Victor!

Sorry for pause. There were problems with the equipment: the server crashed.
I want to return to a subject and ask the next question:
How many IP adresses from address discovery range poll every of Discovery Pollers for one polling session (when parameter "ActiveDiscoveryInterval" will count to zero)?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

It will poll all of the configured addresses. When it's done, server will wait for time specified in ActiveDiscoveryInterval and then repeat the process.

Best regards,
Victor

pcmaster

I configured Network Discovery as active and passive discovery and specified some IP address ranges for active discovery. But after several days of execution discovering process is discovered nodes only from part of address ranges. Screenshots are attached.
Whats happen if discovery process won't come to the end in time "ActiveDiscoveryInterval"? It will be restarted or continued?
---
WBR, Vladimir.