NetXMS to monitor dynamic ip devices

Started by davidfs, February 10, 2022, 01:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidfs

Hi,
I'm, considering to monitor some devices that are configured by dhcp. They are not critical, but are important, and would like to have a listing or inventory of all devices in the network.
Instead of doing a manual listing on a document, I think that NetXMS could be suitable, just to see if they are online, and get them classified (by type, location)

I saw that a node that changes it's IP, is detected as different object and NetXMS does not take in account the mac address. Maybe NetXMS is not adequate to monitor a network whith some dhcp devices, or I'm missing something?
Maybe applying some script on new devices to see if that mac exists, or other workarround?

Thanks.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

if you have DNS names correctly updated, then you can use DNS names of those devices for communications. NetXMS server will periodically (at configuration polls) check if IP address is the same. You can also force server to make those checks more often by changing configuration parameter Objects.Nodes.ResolveDNSToIPOnStatusPoll from "Never" to "Always" or "On failure".

If you have automatic network discovery then you can turn on parameter NetworkDiscovery.UseDNSNameForDiscoveredNodes - when set server will use DNS name instead of IP address for newly discovered nodes. You should have reverse DNS to be set up properly for this feature to work.

Best regards,
Victor

davidfs

Ok, Thanks Victor.
We will try to cleanup dns and reverse database and get all clients and servers with correct configuration.