remote agent installation/configuration

Started by marnixk, November 27, 2011, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marnixk

i am looking for a monitoring system and are testing several open source/free packages

What I need is to monitor remote windows systems. I do not have a permanent vpn to the different locations so I need and agent that pushes the data to the monitoring server.

What I have now is. I installed the server system on my local network and got the interface working. I open/forwarded port 4700/4701 from outside to the server. Installed the agent on the remote system and gave the external ip of the server in the agent. But I cannot get the remote system in my management interface.

Does the agent push or does the server pulls the information from the agents ??

lindeamon

hi,

netxms agents and servers are working both ways.
on one hand there are DCI's which are data collection and they pull from the agents and on the other hand there are events that are displayed on the server console and they are pushed from the agents.

hope this answers your questions,
Lindeamon

marnixk

but do i need to open up the ports on both sides ??

And how do I get the remote node/agent in the netxms manager to show up

In eg solarwinds remote agent show automatically

lindeamon

1. of course you need to open ports on both sides if your firewall blocks outgoing ports never the less there is a document on the website describing the ports needed to be open.
2. there are a few ways to show the agent.
    1. to enter it manually by creating a node.
    2. run the network discovery and enter the range of ip addresses.
    3. there is a feature on the agent called "registrar server" and currently i do not remember if it is configured while installing the agent or by editing the agent service {run: <netxms program dir>\bin\nxagent.exe -help to see the features}.

regarding solarwinds,i have used only lan surveyor so i am not quite familiar with the rest of the family products so if you post the name of the program i will be able to compare it to netxms.
i can tell you that  this is an awesome product and in my line of work i integrate hp openview systems so clearly i do a comparison all the time and in my private network i use this program.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Regarding ports:

You have to open port 4700 from server to agents. You only have to open port 4701 to server from administrator workstations and from hosts where nxpush tool is used.

Best regards,
Victor