SNMPV3

Started by gmonk63, November 10, 2015, 01:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmonk63

Has any one gotten V3 to work correctly ?   Ive tried both 1.2.17 and 2.0RC  and it seems to have issues in both versions .. Im querying a switch for sys.name and I can pull that same information using SNMPB client  no problems but every time i try netxms i have problems  is this a known problem

Andreas@rc

Quote from: gmonk63 on November 10, 2015, 01:45:38 AM
Has any one gotten V3 to work correctly ?   Ive tried both 1.2.17 and 2.0RC  and it seems to have issues in both versions .. Im querying a switch for sys.name and I can pull that same information using SNMPB client  no problems but every time i try netxms i have problems  is this a known problem

I'm using 1.2.7 and we are querying quite a few systems with SNMP V3, no problems so far.
Authentication and encryption are correct (method and password)?

tomaskir

All our devices use SNMPv3 and work without a problem (with both 1.2.17 and 2.0-RC2).

We have multiple NetXMS servers, together maybe 500 nodes, it works across all servers with different combinations of auth/priv, etc.

gmonk63

Hmm... Probly a vendor issue then ?  Are you using AuthPriv  on your devices ?

Thanks for you help

gmonk63

ok after doing some packet captures there does seem to be a slight difference in response from netxms .. after the initial report from the switch which includes the engineid nextxms fails to include the engineid in following get request messages.  I have verified that both snmpb and using net-snmp command line from my laptop both work and all but netxms includes the engineid.  Not sure if this is still a vendor issues or not but the specific  switch i am testing is a Ruggedcom RS900

tomaskir

Which version of NetXMS are those captures from?

gmonk63

1.2.17   I also tried 2.0  with out any luck but I did not do any captures

tomaskir

Could you please try the same captures with 2.0-RC2?

I remember there were some changes to SNMPv3 in the 2.0 branch that fixed some edge-cases... but I might be wrong.
(and I dont know if any of those will apply to you or not)

Thanks in advance!

gmonk63

Here you go.. Its seems worse with 2.0-RC2  I had to reboot my switch several times because it was continually trying several times per second and by default the ruggedcoms will quit responding after so many failed attempts. I also attached the switch debug screen. I have also tried 1.2.17 linux version running on ubuntu thinking maybe it was a windows thing

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

it could be a bug in NetXMS SNMP library. Is it possibe to get access over SNMP to your switch so we can test and fix it? Please send me private message if that's possible.

Best regards,
Victor

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

I've fixed bug in SNMP library, thanks for the access to the switch! Fix will be included in 2.0 release. If you built NetXMS from sources I can provide you a patch.

Best regards,
Victor

Dani@M3T

Hi Victor

I would be interested in the source code patch. Is the problem with the SNMP auth. failures a separate thing?

Thanks
Dani

gmonk63

could you provide me the patch

gmonk63

And by the way thank you for the quick fix ....you mentioned the fix will be released in 2.0 ... ive been wanting to move to 2.0 rc but wasnt sure how stable things are and didnt want to have to migrate everything from 1.2  .. how far along would you guess 2.0 is from being stable release

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

patch for src/snmp/libnxsnmp/transport.cpp attached.

We plan to make 2.0 release before December 10th.

Best regards,
Victor