Status Value Major vs Critical why does one server say major, others critical

Started by James, December 22, 2022, 02:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

We have two Windows 2016 servers  setup as nodes in Netxms version 3.5.
Each of the servers have the Netxms Agent installed and running as a service.
Each of the servers can be polled and have what I believe are identical DCI's (including Internal Status). 
When Server A has its NETXMS Agent service stopped I can see that the Internal Status goes to value 4 - Critical
When Server B has its NETXMS Agent Service stopped I can see that the Internal Status goes to value 3 - Major.

Both servers are the same version of Windows Server.
Both servers were setup with the same version of Netxms.
Both servers seemingly have the same DCI configuration for setup.

What I don't understand is why one server shows value 3 and one shows value 4.  Actually only one server amongst many others shows 3.  The rest shows 4 during the same service stopped test.  

Can someone shed some light on why there might be a difference for this one server.  Could a windows operating system configuration change have caused this on the Server B.  Any hints on how to troubleshoot this and verify the differences? 

Filipp Sudanov

Node status depends on three things
- Status of interfaces
- Severity of alarms present on the node
- Value of DCIs that have "Use this DCI for node status calculation" checkbox set.

By default most severe status is taken as status of the node.

So first of all you need to figure out, is it coming from an alarm or an interface

James

Filipp,

Firstly thanks for your response and Happy new year!!!

You mention 3 things and I have reviewed this and am trying to better understand what I am missing..

In an effort to show you what I have I am adding an attached docx file that I am hoping you can open and review some screen captures.

Netxms.docx

The Test that I do is: On the Server I Stop the Netxms Agent Service.  

When I do this I see that the DCI for Internal Status goes from 0 to a number.  
On Server A it goes to value 3
On Server B and every other server tested in the same manner it goes to a value of 4. 

From what I can tell with my testing the Internal Status is calculated in some way when the Agent is not responding.  It is calculated differently for this one server as apposed to other servers.  

I have taken a look at the Netxms database tables and compared Server A with other Servers and don't see anything that stands out.  

Reviewing the dependencies you mentioned:
Status of interfaces - Netxms Agent is not responding so Interfaces can't be determined.
Severity of alarms present on the node - The DCI shows 3 in one case and 4 on all the other servers. (So severity is seemily different when it shouldn't be???)
Value of CI that have "Use this DCI for node status Calculation" Checkbox set - We don't have that set on any of our Server Nodes so don't think we need this set.  I did set this on the server 1 server configuration to see what that would do and it didn't fix the issue.  

Let me know if you would like to see any other additional screen captures to make this more clear. 

Sincerely Thanks for any help you or anyone else can provide.

ps.  I have access to the Netxms db and have check tables to see if there is anything that stands out as different and I don't really see anything.  My best guess at this point is that the Agent on Server A is behaving differently than the Agent on the other servers.  Not sure what is causing this and would like to fix it. 

Thanks