future plans and your work on zabbix

Started by Tom, May 28, 2008, 11:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Hi,

while reading the manual of zabbix I found the names victor and alexander kirhenstein (misspelled?) in the section "contributors".

Are there plans to merge the two projects?
We are really looking for a stable network management solution with ongoing development and now are unsure of the development of netxms. Today I would say "yes, netxms can help us in most cases, even if there are some bugs".

It would be nice to hear what plans you have  ;)

Thanks,

Greetings
Tom

Alex Kirhenshtein

Hello.

We were working on Zabbix project a long time ago (e.g. windows agent for Zabbix was completely written by Victor), but due to strong disagreement with original author (architecture, licensing issues — e.g. accepting 3rd party patches) we decide to start out own project from scratch.

And no, we are not going to merge; and it's barely possible due to technical restrains and completely different architecture.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Some additional notes to Alex's message:

NetXMS is under active development, and we have no plans to stop it. We already have some commercial activity around it, support contracts, customized development, etc. All commercial things are done via Latvian company OptiCom (http://www.opticom.lv).

Best regards,
Victor

Tom

Hi,

thank you very much for the statement. It's easier for me now to stand on my decision of netxms as our new network management software.
Nice to hear that development is still ongoing. I cant await some improvements :)

Greetings
Tom