Some questions regarding the usage of NetXMS as an EMS/NMS solution.

Started by aayush, October 27, 2009, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aayush

Hello,

I am starting out with NetXML, downloading the product and will soon get a hands-on with it.

Before that, i would like to ask the team some questions (actually my requirements), and understand the NetXMS ecosystem better from my perspective.

1. Is it possible for me to add customized screens for the network element that is being managed ? The screens would take configurable parameters as specified by my SNMP MIB.

2. Is it possible for me to create a screen for displaying alarms raised by my network elements ?

3. Are there any libraries available (a kind of a SDK), which can be used by the developer to add functionality to NetXMS (or is it simply by virtue of contributing to the project ? ).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

aayush

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

1. It depends on how customized they should be. In current version of management console you can place various information windows (like alarm browser, history graphs, etc.) inside main console window and save layout. You can create as many saved layouts as you wish. We also working on a completely new console application, which is based on Eclipse platform, which will allow you to quickly develop custom plugins.

2. Yes - there are alarm view in console.

3. Both ways are possible - depending on what changes / extensions you need. System was designed to be modular and easily extendable. You can create your own modules for server and agent (subagents). There are client libraries in C and Java - they can be used for integration with other systems or to create your own client applications. However, there are one major problem - there are almost no documentation on API, so you will have to ask questions on forum and read source code (or you can order custom development from us).

Best regards,
Victor