News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

Lots of Wierd Subnets

Started by zsing82, December 14, 2011, 04:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zsing82

Hello all.  Been using NetXMS for about a year now, but this is my first post.  I've been using NetXMS to monitor the throughput on the trunk ports of all my switches.  I'm also using it to monitor basic node status of various devices, such as routers, printers, IP Cameras, etc.

We recently upgraded our wireless network to provide full WiFi coverage over our entire property.  We installed 5 Cisco WAP200 access points across our internal/private network.  They're configured with Static IP, and only broadcasting 802.11g using WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.  We're not using any VLANs and the wireless SSID that clients connect to is the same subnet that our wired clients and servers connect to (192.168.1.0/24).  The management addresses for all access points are also on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24).

So, here's my problem:  Whenever NetXMS polls the WAP200's, I get a bunch of wierd subnets under "Entire Network"  There are a bunch of 0.0.0.0/28, 0.0.0.0/32, 0.0.0.0/19 subnets.  Even more wierd ones are 0.0.0.48/28, 0.0.0.152/30, 37.0.112.0/24, 110.32.32.46/31, and lots of others.

I'm wondering if I've configured something wrong in NetXMS.  I downloaded and recompiled all of Cisco's Wireless MIBs into NetXMS, but that didn't change the behavior.  If anyone could please provide some insight as to what is going on, I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm hoping that this is a bug and can be fixed in a new release or that this behavior can be remedied by changing a setting somewhere. Thank you in advace.

Zac
P.S.  Great product and looking forward to upgrades in the future.

---[UPDATE]---
There are still wierd subnets being added to "Entire Network" but now, each Cisco WAP200 has multiple duplicate interfaces.  They all seem to have the same MAC address, but there are wierd IP addresses and subnet masks with each. (Never seen a 47.0.115.0 subnet mask.)

Initially, each WAP200 would have 7 interfaces, br0, eth0, and ra0 - ra4.  The bridge and ethernet have the same MAC and the RA interfaces have a different, but similar, MAC.  (For instance, BR0 and ETH0 have D0-C2-82-E7-DC-6C while RA0-RA4 have D0-C2-82-E7-DC-68).  Another wierd going-on is the "Slot/Port" number.  These seem to be randomly generated when browsing from interface to interface within the same node.

Again, any insight is much appreciated.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

Looks like these devices responds strangely to NetXMS server's requests. Could you please provide me with following information:

1. What is NetXMS server version?
2. What driver is selected for those devices (you can see it on object overview page) - relevant only for version 1.1.x
3. Result of nxsnmpwalk for the following OIDS:

Best regards,
Victor

zsing82

1.  What is NetXMS server version?
2.  What driver is selected for those devices (you can see it on object overview page) - relevant only for version 1.1.x?
Not relevant, using version 1.0.x
3.  Result of nxsnmpwalk for the following OIDS:
SNMPWALK results attached in TXT file

Attached TXT file is for 2 access points.  I can provide SNMPWALK of other 3 access points if you'd like.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Is it possible to install test server 1.1.7 somewhere and add those access points? Versions 1.0.x and 1.1.x has different configuration polling code, and it will be helpful to know if both versions are affected or only old one.

Best regards,
Victor

zsing82

It's ironic you would mention that.  I installed 1.1.7 on my workstation with MS SQL 2008 Express and started to monitor the Cisco WAP200's we have throughout our business.  I actually did this earlier this week and was going to mention it in my original post, but I didn't want to confuse the issue any further.  So, after running 1.1.7 for about 4 days now, I think I can safely say that 1.1.7 is NOT behaving the same way as 1.0.13.  When polling for Interfaces, the access points have the correct number of RA interfaces, and there are no wierd subnets.

I'm wondering if I should just move to version 1.1.7.  I've considered it previously, but I've always been relunctant to introduce beta or development versions into my production environment.  I would like to keep both version running, but alot of my SNMP devices only allow for a single, trusted SNMP manager.

Anyway, let me know if you would like any more information.