News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

ibm blade center

Started by lindeamon, March 11, 2012, 10:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindeamon

hi,

i have installed netxms in an environment which includes ibm blade center.
the blade center is discovered about 21 time and the objects remain in the root of the object tree and not under the subnet.
what can be the cause for this ?

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I suspect that NetXMS server incorrectly process some information obtained from device. Could you please send me more information about this object(s)? I'm mostly interested in information shown on summary page (capabilities, OID, system description), list of interfaces with IP addresses, and IP address selected as primary. I don't need to know exact IP addresses, but very important is to check that address selected as primary IP is presented on one of interface objects.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

i will give you the info.
b.t.w i use the network discovery on all the time and server keeps adding the same ip of the management module again and again.
instead of one node per management module i have like 25

Best Regards and good to be back,
Lindeamon

lindeamon

hi victor,

i have attached 2 screenshots of the fibre channel module that is the problematic one.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Can you confirm that IP address 172.16.4.41 presented on one of the interfaces of the node?

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

those ip address are belong to the fiber channel modules of the blade center.
the cage has 2 options for networking:
1. the management port.
2. the network module ports.

every module has it's own ip address so it could be configured but i do not know from which network capable module i connect to the management of the modules.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

lindeamon

hi victor,

i have done a little research and what i have found out that by default the communication to the fiber-channel module is made through the management module.
every module in the cage has it's own ip address.
what i have experiencing is that every period of time both of the fiber channel modules are being rediscovered and for some reason the server  can not place them under the subnet tree.

hope this help you solve the problem.
Best Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I have some ideas why this can happen. I do some fixes already, next release will contain them. Hopefully it will help.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

great news.when the next release will be out ?

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I hope that it will be before end of March, but I have planned quite a lot for this release, so maybe it will be delayed till first half of April, depending on how fast I'll be able to do development.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

Hi victor,

do not want to rush you,but it is kind of driving me crazy.
i will wait patiently.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

lindeamon

hi victor,

i have upgraded the server and all to 1.2.0 and from first impression i can see that it does not re-detect the hba modules but it does not place them under the subnet container in the "entire network" tree.
i will wait until tomorrow to see if the hba's are being rediscovered and will keep you posted.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon 

lindeamon

hi victor,

now i can say for sure that the hba modules are not redetected but thay are not placed under the correct place in the subnet tree.
i can tell you that in the ibm blade center there are 2 management modules and the hba modules management interface is routed through them meaning that if the management module is down there will be no network connectivity to the hba module.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Can you please show me all interfaces under hba module with IP addresses and primary IP address of HBA module? I suspect that module's primary address is not visible on any of it's interfaces, and this is why NetXMS server doen not place them into subnet tree.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

I will give you the info tomorrow when i get back to work.

Best Regards,
Lindeamon