Ping through a proxy node

Started by Marco Incalcaterra, August 21, 2012, 07:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco Incalcaterra

Hi Victor,

I followed the info here presented:

https://www.netxms.org/forum/configuration/agentless-icmp/msg2273/#msg2273

And I managed it properly when the node is inside the same network where the server is.
What about the possibility to ping a node through a proxy? I tried both method described in the above link but I'm not able to get the correct status, interface is always UNKNOWN and status turns CRITICAL after required number of polls.

Node is properly pingable manually from the node used as proxy (I tried also to add interfaces manually (with MAC address) and I found that they are properly discoverable via the "Find switch port" menu item, but didn't help).

Proxy node works properly, I'm able to query all other SMNP and NetXMS managed nodes.

Any hints?

Here the result of the Poll Node request:

[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM] **** Poll request sent to server ****
[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM] Poll request accepted
[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM] Starting status poll for node TEST-NODE
[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM]       Current interface status is CRITICAL
[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM]       Starting ICMP ping
[8/21/12 6:26:16 PM]    Starting status poll on interface unknown
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM]       Interface is CRITICAL for 12 polls (10 polls required for status change)
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM]    Finished status poll on interface unknown
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM]       Interface status after poll is CRITICAL
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM] Finished status poll for node TEST-NODE
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM] Node is still unreachable
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM] Node status after poll is CRITICAL
[8/21/12 6:26:21 PM] **** Poll completed successfully ****

Best regards,
Marco

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Server uses ICMP proxy only if zoning is enabled and node is in zone other then Zone 0. Probably it is good idea to add possibility to configure ICMP proxy for individual nodes. But currently the only workaround/solution is to put remote nodes in separate zone, and configure ICMP proxy for that zone.

Best regards,
Victor

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on August 22, 2012, 06:17:07 PM
Hi!

Server uses ICMP proxy only if zoning is enabled and node is in zone other then Zone 0. Probably it is good idea to add possibility to configure ICMP proxy for individual nodes. But currently the only workaround/solution is to put remote nodes in separate zone, and configure ICMP proxy for that zone.

Best regards,
Victor

Hi Victor,

I agree, it could be useful to add configuration for ICMP proxy for single node. BTW I'm trying to setup zones to solve it for now.
I turned on the 'EnableZoning' flag and restarted the server, now I have the "Change Zone" menu item. I created a new zone, set the proxy node (same for NetXMS, SNMP and ICMP), changed the zone for the proxy node and for the node that I want to ping, but I'm still not able to ping the node. In the meanwhile I was testing the zone name automatically changed its name (i.e. the zone name I set was "TEST" and now it changed to "192.168.10.0/24" that is the subnet for the node I want to ping).

For sure I'm doing something wrong, do you have any hints?

Best regards,
Marco

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on August 22, 2012, 06:17:07 PM
Hi!

Best regards,
Victor

Little update, I started again from scratch, created the 'ZONE-TEST' (ID 1), set-up all the proxies, assigned the node unable to ping 'TEST-NODE' to Zone with ID 1, assigned the node NAS-BACKUP01 (with SNMP support) to Zone ID 1 and left in Zone ID 0 the proxy node NETXMS-PROXY.
As you can see in the picture the name of the zone changed as well as its class from Zone to Subnet (this happened after a while). Now I'm no more able to assign anything else to Zone ID 1, it simply doesn't exist anymore (as you can see only the Default zone is displayed).

Where am I wrong?

Best regards,
Marco

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Looks like something is broken in 1.2.2 regarding zone support. You do all configuration absolutely right, it must be a bug. I'll try to reproduce and fix this in a next few days.

Best regards,
Victor

Marco Incalcaterra

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on August 24, 2012, 12:37:27 PM
Hi!

Looks like something is broken in 1.2.2 regarding zone support. You do all configuration absolutely right, it must be a bug. I'll try to reproduce and fix this in a next few days.

Best regards,
Victor

Thank you very much for your support. Let me know if I can be useful for any other test.

Best regards,
Marco